Sunday, June 28, 2009

watermelon salad

This recipe is what I categorize in my food brain as "an explosion of flavors." It's got everything - sweet, salty, sour, spicy, and pungent/bitter. I read somewhere that in order to reach real satiety while eating, it's important to combine all those flavors.

But, if nothing else, this dish screams "SUMMER!" and is a welcome treat on a hot afternoon.

Watermelon and Feta Salad

1/2 seedless watermelon, cubed
1/4 lb feta cheese*, cubed or crumbled

For the dressing:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp Trader Joe's mango chili vinegar (this just happened to be what I had on hand - or you can substitute another mild vinegar - try champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or basil
1/2 of a shallot, minced
a pinch of dried chili flakes

Mix all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar, and shake to blend. Pour over the watermelon and feta cheese. You can also add some salad greens if you wish (I like arugula).

*Please do yourself a favor and use the real sheep's milk feta cheese. It's so much better. :)

Pin It!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I've had similar salads, but the dressing really stands out in this recipe. Can't wait to try it!

. said...

Mia,
I made this one night for our family vacation. Everyone loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

JEN: You HAVE to try it! Aaaah the joys and flavors of summer...

KIM: Glad your family loved it! I do think it's a no-fail crowd pleaser.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...