Monday, March 22, 2010

overcoming self-doubt

Moments of self-doubt... aaaah, the bane of my existence. The energy-consuming, stress-producing, sleep-depriving Beast.

I just went through one of those moments a few days ago. And as though the universe heard me, I came across this yogini's blog post, which was a great comfort. And I revisited an old blog entry, in which I quoted Joseph Campbell's words about following your bliss. Just what I needed.

I read more of his work, and came across this:

"Now, I came to this idea of bliss because in Sanskrit, which is the great spiritual language of the world, there are three terms that represent the brink, the jumping-off place to the ocean of transcendence: sat-chit-ananda. The word 'Sat' means being. 'Chit' means consciousness. 'Ananda' means bliss or rapture. I thought, 'I don't know whether my consciousness is proper consciousness or not; I don't know whether what I know of my being is proper being or not; but I do know where my rapture is. So let me hang on to rapture, and that will bring me both my consciousness and my being.' I think it worked." - Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

So I too will be holding on to that which brings me rapture... even if sometimes I feel that I'm hanging on by a thread. 

Read more on Joseph Campbell's work here.

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...