Monday, November 14, 2011

tribute to fall 2011

I say it every year: "There will never be another Fall [insert year]."

So here we go: There will never be another Fall 2011.

Year after year, the fall season is different. The timing in which the leaves turn. The transitions I go through in my own life as nature goes through its own transition. The stage I am in at that point in my life. The sights, the events, the flavors, the emotions I experience as I soak in the season. It's unique, every year.

 my parents, at the Cleveland Botanical Garden


 
my parents... such lovebirds!

A visit to Auburn Twin Oaks Winery, Chagrin Falls - a special place for A. and me
(I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol of any kind, but I absolutely LOVE this place - it's where A. and I got married, very quietly, with only 8 witnesses present.)

 The most amazing fennel and broccoli soup at Moxie, where we took my parents for dinner. 
I promptly tried to replicate this soup that same week.

Some thoughts to ponder on...

One of our favorite restaurants in Cleveland, where we also took my parents for dinner

 with my mom, outside Greenhouse Tavern
 
 picture of A. and me, taken by my dad as we were walking on East 4th in downtown Cleveland
(that's me walking ON the sidewalk so I can be as tall as A. is... just a joke between us)

 funny carvings on a tree trunk, found during one of our walks in North Chagrin Metropark

Thank you, A., for grounding me.
I can't do what I do without you.
 light. color. shadows.



 beautiful blue skies - always appreciated during the long season of gray days in Cleveland




 North Chagrin Metropark - we are blessed to have this wonderful gem less than 10 minutes from our home.

Product of a cozy day of baking at home: buttery, flaky biscuits thanks to our very own Cleveland author Michael Ruhlman's book, Ratio. I'm not one to collect cookbooks, but in my (humble) opinion this is one of the best food-related books out there. In a nutshell, it's based on the premise that you're better off knowing a ratio than a recipe. If you know a ratio, you know exponentially more recipes.
Check out the flaky layers in the biscuit above - thanks to his technique of a few rounds of chilling the dough, then folding into thirds and rolling (for a total of 6x which, including chilling time, took a few hours). There are just no shortcuts to some of the finer things in life. :)
Biscuits were enjoyed fresh out of the oven, with my favorite Bonne Maman jam.
 vanilla bean ice cream churning in the ice cream maker
It may be getting cold, but I'll take good quality ice cream any day.
Check out those specks of vanilla!
There's just nothing like it.
(Pardon my poor kitchen lighting... it was nighttime)
 A fiery orange tree against the most unbelievably blue sky.
How lucky am I to have this tree outside our balcony?

Some grounding words as we live through the transitions and changes that are characteristic of this "vata" season. These tips, based on principles of Ayurveda, are especially helpful for someone like me with a predominant vata dosha, but can also be helpful to anyone.
("breathe in life" frame gifted by my uber-cool aunt, a proprietor of a B&B  and a yoga instructor; the gift tag was from a present given by this friend. I hung it over the side of the frame because it reminds me of a mandala. I have this displayed in my home office.)

As I mentioned earlier... there will never be another Fall 2011. Breathe it in...

Pin It!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Fall 2011 -- looks like it was a fantastic one! Thanks for sharing your happy pictures.

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Hi Jen! Happy Fall 2011 to you too :)

I'm sorry I missed Friendsgiving this year... I'm sure it was a good one!

Anne said...

beautiful capture of fall!

and you guys are lucky to have all of that embrace you!

aww and i know that tag! i'm glad you like it!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love.- Kamelle

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Wish you were here, Camille!
:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...