Wednesday, August 25, 2010

finding words of wisdom everywhere...

I recently visited this Thai restaurant, which has been a go-to restaurant for me to have pad thai -- and other Thai dishes -- without fish sauce. (not all restaurant kitchens may be willing to make the adjustment)

I have to admit I enjoy Asian restaurants for the fortune cookies. And amidst my inner struggle, I got a fortune cookie with this little slip of paper that reads:

"There is a way to everything you want."

Now one would argue that it's just a fortune cookie. And it is. But I think it's fun.

And maybe, there IS a way to everything I want. Not "want" in a material sense, but in terms of personal dreams.

 my collage from a retreat in August 2008

I have at least 2 friends who are either going through some life transitions, or thinking about a life transition. Thinking about what they want...and what they don't want. And what great things they envision for themselves. It's all so exciting, sitting in that place of possibility and potential. Even if it may mean putting a end to something, it also means that there is something new beginning. That seems to be what life is: endings and new beginnings. With each phase ending there is a lesson learned, with each new beginning there is an opportunity to take another step towards our highest self.

A dear friend and spiritual author, whose birthday is today, always talks about being open to this sense of "infinite power that enables us to fulfill our highest purpose." (Happy birthday, K.! Thank you for your words of wisdom.)

It's no wonder my body has been so attracted to heart-opening poses lately. Backbending has been feeling SO good in my recent yoga practice. Cobra pose, camel pose, full wheel. There's something about this feeling of openness, expansion, and largeness of heart in these poses. It never fails to amaze me how the body, mind, and spirit are so connected.

So when you're feeling stuck, try some backbends. Whether it's a gentle backbend like a low cobra or sphinx, or a more challenging backbend such as the full wheel... whatever is right for you and your body at any particular time. And even if you don't come to an answer just yet, you will at least have given your body a delicious stretch. I'd say there's wisdom in honoring your body.

Here's a thought I've been meditating on lately:

"Don't worry about what the world wants from you, worry about what makes you come more alive. Because what the world really needs are people who are more alive." - Howard Thurman

What is your source of power? And what makes you "come alive"? I'd love to hear...

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...