Sunday, August 8, 2010

homemade salt scrub

I had another one of those sudden urges to get crafty.

I looked at what I had lying around in my kitchen and bathroom. Here's what I had:



sweet almond oil
sea salt and Himalayan pink salt (fine salt, not coarse!)
dried flowers, like lavender
essential oils: lavender, bergamot, peppermint.

So I thought... why not make a salt scrub?

Here's how to do it:

Start with a clean glass jar. I like reusing those mason jars or jam jars.... especially if they have pretty lids (without the food product label!)

Fill the jar halfway with sea salt. Or Himalayan pink salt, if you have it...





 


You can get Himalayan pink salt at a specialty foods store or online. I was lucky and chanced upon a great deal on it at TJ Max!

The little specks of pink make it look pretty, and it's got minerals, trace elements, and all that good stuff.



 Start filling up the jar with sweet almond oil. Use a stiff spoon to stir the oil into the salt, to allow the salt to absorb the oil. Add more salt and more oil, a little bit at the time, until the jar is about 3/4 full.

Add several drops of essential oil (until you can smell a subtle fragrance). I used lavender this time, because it's my favorite, but you can choose one you like. Stir it all together.

Then end with another thin layer of sweet almond oil to cover the salt. Close the lid tightly, and enjoy in your next bath... or give it to a friend!


Those are dried lavender flowers, floating at the surface of the oil. I thought they would mix well together with the salt and absorb some of the oil so it gets incorporated throughout... but it didn't. But that's ok...

* You know those little plastic tasting spoons that are used in sampling stations at grocery stores? I actually save those to use in my spice bottles. I also stuck one of those little spoons in the salt scrub jar, for stirring each time before using in the bath!

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...