Friday, April 20, 2012

driving essentials

I'm not a huge fan of driving. I joke that I probably wouldn't run a half-marathon because I don't even like driving 13 miles. I am fortunate that despite living in suburbia, there are actually quite a few walkable places in my neighborhood; and we have sidewalks. I can walk to the grocery store, drugstore, home goods store, coffee shop, and yoga studio.

Today I spent 5 hours driving (round trip) to do some volunteering work for my professional organization. It was a lot of sitting in a nearly immobile state (not fun). So, I was armed with everything I needed:

  • full tank of gas (duh)
  • GPS 
  • water bottle
  • dark chocolate
  • iPhone hooked up to audio system (so I can listen to music and take calls hands free - love this feature)
  • lumbar support
  • comfy driving mocs

It's not often that I just sit and do... nothing. I think that's why driving isn't fun for me. I certainly prefer to move or keep busy.

But today I thought, I'll just savor the music. It's not often that I can just sit and listen to music on regular days.

This song was on repeat several times on this trip:



 I don't know what it is, but I always get goosebumps when listening to this song. I can't play music to save my life but I LOVE the cello. And while I love the traditional cello, this electric cello is just equally haunting. I had four or five tracks like this. This cellist even came to Cleveland some time ago for a live performance - and I was so disappointed to miss it because I had class!

I remember the first time I listened to a solo electric cello performance. The cellist did this really interesting live looping (I *think* that's what it's called?) in which he played for a bit and then it recorded so that it would loop while he played another set of bars (?). And it went on until there was this amazing, multi-layered music. The lights were turned off during part of the performance and the music was so beautiful, I was in tears.

Anyway. So it was me, Ziva (that's my car - and yes, I name inanimate objects - this one named after Ziva from NCIS, one of the coolest female characters on TV in my opinion) and some really, really good music. Nice and loud. :)

And I can't sing to save my life either, but here's a little secret: I sing while driving (alone)! I do. Nice and loud. It keeps me awake. :)

Here are a few more of my favorite driving songs that help me savor my alone time on the road:

(in no particular order)

  • Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
  • The Fly - U2
  • Electrical Storm - U2 (and oh, this official music video has free eye candy - U2's drummer, Larry Mullen Jr., who seems to defy aging after decades of U2's music history. Just saying.)
  • Gone - U2 (watch your speed limit while listening to this song. ;-))
  • Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - U2
  • 40 - U2 (yes, it's from Psalm 40! LOVE how they ended their 2005 Cleveland concert with this song. Amazing live experience!)
  • Fear - Sarah McLachlan (album version) - one of the greatest songs ever made, in my opinion
  • Fear - Sarah McLachlan  (Mirrorball-live version)
  • Possession - Sarah McLachlan  - this song was my first introduction to Sarah (yup, first-name basis). 1994. Sophomore year of high school. I saw this music video on TV and bought the album the same day, and have been hooked ever since. This live version is amazing too)
  • Crucify - Tori Amos
  • Precious Things - Tori Amos - most haunting vocals and piano ever.
  • Tear In Your Hand - Tori Amos
  • The Verb - Swell Season (Love this duo. Marketa's vocals at the end totally makes this song.)
  • Freedom - Bird York 
  • Wicked Little High - Bird York
  • The End of Outside - Duncan Sheik
  • Reasons for Living - Duncan Sheik
  • Galileo - Indigo Girls
  • In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
  • Les Portes Du Souvenir - Les Nubians
  • Princesse Nubienne - Les Nubians
  • Voyager - Les Nubians
  • I Have The Touch - Heather Nova
  • Crazy - Seal
  • Crazy - original by Seal, performed by Alanis Morrissette for The Devil Wears Prada soundtrack
  • Hare Krishna - Donna De Lory (a bit of trivia: she was Madonna's backing vocalist!)
  • Om Nama Shivaya - Donna De Lory
  • The Flower Duet (Lakmé) - Léo Delibes (a bit of an unusual choice for driving, I know)
  • Pure Shores - All Saints
  • Free Your Mind - En Vogue (I have very fond memories associated with this song... high school senior year, dancing a kickass routine with the gang for a competition. Oh to be able to dance this with my friends again... yes, I'm looking at you, cyberlaundry ;) - but we'll probably regret the splits at the end - OUCH!)

What are your favorite driving tunes? Do share!




Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...