Friday, June 29, 2012

when i need a pep talk


 

What a week.

Been feeling frustrated with my work lately - call it academic writer's block. I can't seem to get unstuck in my writing and editing (or lack thereof).

This song - Defying Gravity - was just what I needed to hear; and performed by no less than Lea Salonga, our national singing treasure (the original Kim in Cameron Macintosh's West End/Broadway musical, Miss Saigon - go Philippines!). Watch the video, and be prepared to get goosebumps.

I remember watching the musical Wicked in Cincinnati some years ago, and crying when this song was sung (ok, ok, I know... a lot of things make me cry, including TV commercials). And it wasn't even Lea singing then. Yes, we refer to her on a first-name basis in the Philippines.

Lea's version here is amazing -- and I love how, despite all her international acclaim from a sweep of so many theater awards for her performance in Miss Saigon -- she is still so Filipino - note how she makes the sign of the cross before singing! As our comedian Rex Navarete says, that is "hella Pinoy"!!!

It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try

Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!


How's that for motivation?

Oh, and I read that she was actually pregnant while singing this? I can't imagine how someone can breathe for herself AND another little being growing inside AND sing like this.

Now where's that green "defy gravity" shirt? Maybe I should wear it while writing my dissertation...at this point, I'll take anything with even the most remote possibility of helping!

My future is unlimited...




Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...