Friday, January 27, 2012

yoga asanas as a reflection of life

Recently I wrote about how I tend to stick to my "safe" poses in my yoga practice.

I've come to the realization that, at least for me, there is an inverse relationship between age and risk-taking. (sorry, geek moment.)

I've tried scuba-diving, wakeboarding, skiing, whitewater rafting, and skydiving. Not activities for the faint of heart, I might say.

my first skydive (2007) - yes, that really is me up there!
photo credit

But I recall the last time I went skiing last winter - I was so much more cautious, to the point of being scared. It was a stark contrast to the first time I tried it. I'm not a great skier by any means, but I felt that based on my first try years ago, my body awareness and balance wasn't bad and I did a pretty decent job for a beginner.

Then recently, I've also been much more cautious during my yoga practice. It's not wrong. It's always good to err on the side of caution. But the downside is that I am not challenging myself, not exploring a variety of poses that might be good for me. I've been sticking to my comfort zone, perhaps a little bit too much.

Then my aha moment came when I realized that I'm taking the same approach to life. I've had some good (I think) ideas brewing in my mind, about "projects" to take on for the year. But I've become fearful - asking myself all the possible what-if questions. So I haven't taken action on my ideas. Mirroring the changes in my asana practice, I've been sticking to my comfort zone in life as well. A stark difference compared to my old ways of always seeking, exploring, challenging.

Perhaps it's true what they say (whoever "they" are) - that the body holds emotions. Places of tightness, resistance in the "outer" body are indicators of tightness and resistance in the "inner" body.

Hmmm.

But in a yoga asana practice, I know I can take calculated risks. I can, with awareness, determine what my body is and isn't ready for that day. 

Just as I can take calculated risks in life.

Do you believe your body holds emotions? How does your yoga/movement practice mirror your life?

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...