Wednesday, April 1, 2009

feeding my soul... some more

I wouldn't call myself an artist... I'm not an art critic, and I don't have any formal art training. But as someone who appreciates art, I think I can be a pretty good spokesperson for it. :)

Last Sunday I had the pleasure of going to another art show with this friend, to see the work of Tara Donovan at the Contemporary Arts Center.

I can't begin to describe Tara Donovan's work. Look her up on the internet, and you'll find some interesting descriptions and photos... but nothing compares to actually being there, experiencing it. There are no words for it. Her sculptures silenced me, gave me goosebumps and chills down my spine (in a good way), and brought me back to my center the way no other art has. It was actually... yogic. I could really see myself going back there to just sit in that space, and meditate on her art... like meditating on a mandala.

At the art shop of the CAC, I came across a book: "Seeing is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees" by Lawrence Weschler. I think that phrase captured my experience that day.

Her work is on exhibit at the CAC until May 3rd. Oh, and did I mention that if you're an Enjoy the Arts member*, you can get 2 free tickets to the Contemporary Arts Center (among other places)? Otherwise, tickets are still under $10... a small price to pay for an incredible art experience.

*I personally think that the Enjoy the Arts membership is one of THE BEST things about this city.

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...