Tuesday, April 7, 2009

more spring magic

I can't say enough about spring.

I went out for a walk last weekend, when we had that gorgeous spring weather. Bright and early, I joined a group of hikers at Mount Airy forest to walk the trails at 8 am. On a Sunday. Even my close friends were shocked that I was up that early on a weekend.

Then I went out again in the afternoon, feeling the need to soak up as much sunshine as possible.

Whenever I go for a walk, I almost always regret not bringing my camera. I wish I had a nice, compact, yet powerful enough "point-and-shoot" camera that can fit in my pocket, so I can take it with me when I walk. I love my big camera, but lugging it around on a power-walk does not seem ideal.

This walk was no exception. After a half hour I did an about-face and went back home to get my camera.

I think what's magical about spring is that no matter how many times I experience it, it's always like seeing it for the very first time. It almost makes the long, cold, dark, gray (ok, you get the point) winter seem worth it. Back home, we only have two seasons -- dry and rainy. And it was always hot, and/or humid. The tropical islands I come from have their own beauty, but I didn't grow up experiencing the feeling of thrill and anticipation when spring starts.

I love taking walks later in the afternoon. During that time, the sun is no longer at its peak, and it casts nicer shadows and softer light. I was just in awe as I was walking and noticing how the trees and flowers seemed to glow, backlit by the late afternoon sunlight. I couldn't quite capture it in these photos. Yet another instance in which technology and the human hand (mine, at least) fail... these photos don't even come close to accurately representing nature's magic.



"The key is the willingness to accept the full value of each moment." - Julia Cameron,
Blessings: Prayers and Declarations for a Heartful Life

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...