Friday, May 11, 2012

incredible India



May 11th, 2012
India

Happy, happy birthday to A., my dear husband...(there's a man's face on my palm, supposedly his profile - see it?)

So many thoughts and emotions are swirling in my soul, much like the intricate lines and curves of the mehndi (henna) on my arms. I'll write more another time.

Amit and I are celebrating "wedding part 3 of 3" tomorrow (the Hindu ceremony this time). Incredible as that sounds - for someone who's not wedding-crazy like me. But I am going to embrace the experience, as my new family has embraced me.

On the day I arrived, my mother and sister-in-law showered me with gifts - flowers, kurtas (long tunics), saris, beaded purses, jewelry. I have been overcome with emotion as they have accepted me as a daughter despite not having met me prior to that day. They both knelt in front of my feet to place jewelry (paayal = ankle bracelet) on both my ankles. I couldn't help but burst into tears. I don't have a photograph of this moment, but it is forever etched in my memory.

PS: My husband's name is spelled out on my hand below - can anyone find it?



photos taken by A.

Pin It!

13 comments:

cyberlaundry said...

I see it, I see it! I've been waiting for you to blog about the trip!

Enjoy your stay and your new family! I'd burst into tears, too.

More pix! Hugs!

cyberlaundry said...

I see it, I see it! I've been waiting for you to blog about the trip!

Enjoy your stay and your new family! I'd burst into tears, too.

More pix! Hugs!

vALLEYgirl said...

That's so touching... I can't wait to see more photos! Hey, how long did it take to finish that tattoo? Looks intricate!

Anne said...

i don’t see it :-| but beautiful mehndi's, all the same! can’t wait to read more about your trip and meeting your new family :-)

Anne said...

oh and happy birthday A

Sharon Tessandori said...

oh my gosh Mia.....I can't wait to read more about this. I can imagine what's swirling around in your heart. Happy sigh.

Jen said...

Mia, my heart is bursting with joy for you and Amit! Enjoy every lovely moment of being welcomed and celebrated.

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

cyberlaundry: galing ha! You see it?

Dianne: it took maybe 2+ hours? There were 2 henna artists doing it. I have it all the way past my elbows. Plus both feet, all the way up my calves. It was incredible to watch the process!

Anne: thanks! Will pass on your greetings :)

Sharon: I have so much to write about, I don't even know where to begin! Thanks for happily sighing with me :)

Jen: That is exactly how I feel - welcomed and celebrated! Everyone has been so warm to me here :)

Anonymous said...

Mia!

The A is at the base of your forefinger, near the kulot-kulot. The M is on your middle finger, near the tuldok. The I is towards the dulo of your middle finger, left of the spiral. The T sa base ng pinky mo.

Or I've been eating too many pop tarts, hahaha!

I ran into your brother and Christina at an event yesterday. Made me miss you even more! I hope you're spending your birthday in India!!!

Love you!
Kamelle

Anonymous said...

Mia!

The A is at the base of your forefinger, near the kulot-kulot. The M is on your middle finger, near the tuldok. The I is towards the dulo of your middle finger, left of the spiral. The T sa base ng pinky mo.

Or I've been eating too many pop tarts, hahaha!

I ran into your brother and Christina at an event yesterday. Made me miss you even more! I hope you're spending your birthday in India!!!

Love you!
Kamelle

Clarisse said...

Mia, so happy to read about your trip to India to meet your new family. I felt so happy for you when I read what you shared about the bracelets on your ankles, truly a precious moment. Soak in the culture and the food :-)

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Camille, I give you an A! Heehee :)

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Thanks Clarisse!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...